The head office of Deverett Law Offices is conveniently located in a one-storey commercial building with free parking in the heart of North York, just down the road from the Sheppard court house. We also have meeting offices in Scarborough and Vaughan.
Our senior lawyer, Michael Deverett, was called to the Bar in 1984 and has been practicing law for more than 30 years.
Please call us at 416-222-6789 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a free initial consultation.
Written quotes are provided for all professional services.
In order to reduce your legal costs our firm uses junior lawyers and paralegals.
Our firm will design a budget to meet your legal needs.
Please discuss with us the possibility of contingency fees (except for family law).
Wills and Powers of Attorney for Property and Personal Care can be processed in a relatively short time.
Michael Deverett's experience since 1984, general practice including litigation, wills & estates, family, real estate, corporate/commercial and otherwise.
Litigation experience includes:
- Estate litigation - contested wills, appointment of statutory guardians
- Family Law - divorce, equalization of property, custody/access
- Plaintiff litigation
- Defence litigation
- Real estate litigation - property and boundary disputes
- Corporate/commercial litigation - partnership and shareholder disputes,
- Small claims court
- Other litigation
Representation at all court levels including:
- Supreme Court of Canada (leave to appeal applications),
- Ontario Court of Appeal (appeals and motions),
- Divisional Court (appeals and motions),
- Ontario Superior of Justice (motions, appeals, trials, conferences) and other courts.
Wills, powers of attorney for property and personal care, appointments of estate trustees with a will and without a will, administrations of estates
Real estate purchases, sales and mortgages, residential freehold and condo
Incorporations Ontario and Federal for profit and not for profit
Banton v. Banton, (1998) 164 D.L.R. (4th) 176 (Ont.Sup.Ct.), and Banton v. CIBC Trust Corp., (1999) 182 D.L.R. (4th) 486, 30 E.T.R. (2d) 148 (Ont.Sup.Ct.), affd (2001) 53 O.R. (3d) 567, 197 D.L.R. (4th) 212, 38 E.T.R. (2d) 167 (C.A.), leave denied  S.C.C.A No. 242
- Counsel for wife, 9-day trial and numerous motions, validated marriage between 31 year old wife and 88 year old husband, numerous estate and trust issues including capacity to marry, breach of trust, creation of trust, testamentary capacity, undue influence, power of attorney for property, substitute decisions, inter vivos trusts, construction of trust instrument, commingling trust funds, restitution, unjust enrichment and otherwise.
Dabbs v. Sun Life Assurance Co.,  O.J. No. 2811; 40 O.R. (3d) 429; 5 C.C.L.I. (3d) 18; 22 C.P.C. (4th) 381;  I.L.R. I-3575; 80 A.C.W.S. (3d) 956, 1998 CanLII 7165 (ON C.A.),  O.J. No. 3622; 41 O.R. (3d) 97; 165 D.L.R. (4th) 482; 113 O.A.C. 307; 7 C.C.L.I. (3d) 38; 27 C.P.C. (4th) 243;  I.L.R. I-3629; 82 A.C.W.S. (3d) 638, leave denied  S.C.C.A. No. 372
- Counsel for Dabbs. This was a motion by Dabbs to quash an appeal from an order that this action be certified as a class action and a motion for leave to appeal by Maclean from the certification order. Dabbs was a representative plaintiff in a class proceedings against the defendant Sun Life Assurance Company. The parties entered into a settlement agreement. Maclean, a member of the class, participated in the settlement approval proceedings. He did not ask for party status. Maclean objected to the approval of the settlement. The agreement affected 400,000 class members across Canada and had been approved by British Columbia and Quebec courts. The trial judge approved the settlement pursuant to the Class Proceedings Act and found it to be fair, reasonable and in the best interest of those affected by it. Dabbs argued that Maclean had no standing to bring an appeal.
Normal Geographical Limits to Practice
Toronto, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, York Region, Oshawa, Ajax, Durham Region, Brampton, Mississauga, Peel Region, Milton
Dispute Resolution Services
Third Party Neutral
Home Visits and/or Visits to Institutionalized Clients
Accepts Collect Calls
Returns Long Distance Messages